We welcome your interest in St. Hilda’s & St. Hugh’s. We hope you will find our admission process informative and straightforward.
If you would like to receive information about our school by mail, please click here to submit an inquiry.
We welcome your phone calls at any point in the process. We can be reached by calling 212-932-1980 and requesting Kate Dworkoski (ext. 325), Karen Lee (ext. 348) or Kristin Hattiandgadi (ext. 361).
Contact the admission office at 212-932-1980 x325 for more information about applying your child to St. Hilda's & St. Hugh's.
Applicants must be the following age by September 1 of the academic year for which you are applying:
Beginners: age 2
Nursery: age 3
Junior Kindergarten: age 4
Senior Kindergarten: age 5
Grade 1: age 6
Grade 2: age 7
Grade 3: age 8
Grade 4: age 9
Grade 5: age 10
Grade 6: age 11
Grade 7: age 12
Grade 8: age 13
Coffee with Ms. Connor!
Thursday, December 1
8:30 - 9:45 a.m.
Parents of Early Childhood Applicants are invited to a morning of conversation with St. Hilda's & St. Hugh's Head of School, Virginia Connor, and lower division director, Emily Holt, to hear more about our program and philosophy for educating young children. Please contact Karen Lee in the admission office to RSVP at firstname.lastname@example.org
Fall Open House
Thank you to everyone who joined us for our Fall Open House on Thursday, October 6. For a recap of the event, please click here.
Upon submitting your child's application, you will be eligible to schedule a parent tour.
Parent tours are a required part of the application process. Parent tours are hosted in small groups and led by a member of the admission staff. Tours are in the morning from 8:30-10:30 a.m. (by appointment only) and include a walk through of the building followed by a question and answer session.
Tours are intended for parents and are not designed for our student applicants. We ask that both parents attend the tour (if you are a two parent family), as this is a required step in the application process. We do not conduct parent interviews and so the tour is an opportunity for the admission staff to get to know your family.
- Beginner and nursery applicants are invited for an informal, group playdate with members of our admission staff and early childhood faculty. Playdates last about 30 to 45 minutes and there are no more than four children in a group, each accompanied by their parent(s) or caregiver.
- Junior kindergarten applicants are invited for a 45 minute group playdate, that involves informal playtime and a short, one-on-one table assessment with a member of our admission staff or early childhood faculty. There are no more than four children in a group, each accompanied by their parent(s) or caregiver.
- Kindergarten and grade 1 applicants are invited for an hour-long group playdate that involves a group activity and a one-on-one table assessment with a member of our admission staff or early childhood faculty. There are no more than four children in a group and parents and caregivers are invited to wait in our lobby or explore the neighborhood during the visit.
- Grade 2 through grade 8 applicants are invited to spend all or part of a school day with us. More information will be provided by the admission office upon scheduling the visit.
All ISAAGNY schools use the same confidential teacher report forms. The forms below correspond to the grade to which your child is applying (not their current grade). Please submit the appropriate form to your child's current teacher and ask that they return the form directly to St. Hilda's & St. Hugh's. We can easily provide the form via email or regular mail as well.
For the 2017-18 admission season, we are not requiring testing administered by the Educational Resources Bureau (ERB) for our junior kindergarten, senior kindergarten and grade 1 applicants. We are always reevaluating our admission process as to whether or not the ERB, or other standarized testing, will be required in the future.
We will continue to require the ERB for our applicants applying to grades 2-4 (ECAA) and the ISEE for our applicants applying to grades 5-8. To learn more about these tests and how to schedule them, please click here.
- 28 percent of students receive aid
- Over $3 million awarded
- Average grant: $29,555
Parents who request financial aid information on the application will receive an email detailing our financial aid application process through Tuition Aid Data Services (TADS).
For further information and instructions on how to apply for financial aid, please visit our financial aid page. We regret that we may not be able to accommodate Financial Aid requests made after the December 1 deadline.
Parents are notified of admission decisions according to the Independent School Admissions Association of Greater New York (ISAAGNY) notification guidelines. Notification letters will be sent via email, with paper copies to follow via regular mail. Notification dates are as follows:
Beginner, Nursery, Junior Kindergarten - Wednesday, February 8 (Parent Reply Deadline: Friday, March 3)
Senior Kindergarten - Friday, February 10 (Parent Reply Deadline: Friday, February 17)
Grade 1-8 - Tuesday, February 7 ( Parent Reply Deadline: Tuesday, February 28)
Applicants who are siblings of current St. Hilda's & St. Hugh's students may choose the option of Early Notification, which allows us to let those families know about admission decisions by the end of January. Not only does this option facilitate the admission process, but it is also a demonstration of our commitment to our current families. This option will not diminish our dedication to a community diverse in race, culture, socio-economic status, and religious beliefs. Early Notification decisions can be an acceptance, a denial, or a deferral to the regular pool, based on space availability and the application.