Thank you for your interest in St. Hilda's & St. Hugh's. We hope you will find our admission process informative and straightforward.
For all families, the admission process includes a formal application, a parent tour, and a student visit. Individual parent interviews have never been part of our process; rather, we prefer to focus our time together on sharing our school with you to see if the values and structure of a St. Hilda’s & St. Hugh’s education matches those of your own family.
The role of the admission team is to be a resource for applicant parents. We encourage your phone calls at any point in the process. We can be reached by calling (212) 932-1980 and requesting Kate Dworkoski (x325), Karen Lee (x348), or Kristin Hattiandgadi (x361).
- Apply Online
- Admission Events Schedule
- Child Visits
- Parent Tours
- Transcript Request Form (Grades 2-7)
- ISAAGNY Teacher Report Form
- Testing (Grades 2-7)
- Financial Aid
As our official application submission window for 2018-19 has passed, please contact the admission office to inquire about applying to a specific grade (212-932-1980 x325). Often, attrition can happen after the typical admission cycle and openings may become available in the spring.
To submit an application for 2018-2019, please click here.
Applications for the 2019-2020 academic year will be available on Monday, August 27. If you would like to be notified once applications are available, please submit an inquiry or reach out to the admission office (212-932-1980; email@example.com).
Application Deadlines for 2019-2020
- Senior Kindergarten: November 1
- Beginners, Nursery, and Junior Kindergarten: December 1
- Grades 1-7: December 1
Applications for certain grades may close prior to the deadlines listed above. For this reason, we encourage your applications in September and October. Applicant files will be closed by January 8, 2019. All test scores, ISAAGNY Teacher Reports, and transcripts (if applicable) must be submitted by this date.
Applicants must be at least the following age by September 1 of the academic year for which they are applying:
- Beginners: Age 2
- Nursery: Age 3
- Junior Kindergarten: Age 4
- Senior Kindergarten: Age 5
- Grade 1: Age 6
- Grade 2: Age 7
- Grade 3: Age 8
- Grade 4: Age 9
- Grade 5: Age 10
- Grade 6: Age 11
- Grade 7: Age 12
Fall Open House
October 25, 2018
Prospective parents are invited to attend our annual Open House to meet our head of school, faculty, and current parents. After a Q and A session with Head of School Virginia Connor, parents are welcome to tour the school and have the opportunity to talk one-on-one with faculty.
Coffee with Ms. Connor
Parents of early childhood applicants are invited to a morning of conversation with Head of School Virginia Connor and Lower Division Director Emily Holt, to hear more about our program and philosophy for educating young children.
Parents of applicants are invited to St. Hilda’s & St. Hugh’s for an evening of conversation with Head of School Virginia Connor and members of our faculty. This reception is the final event in the admission process and an opportunity to see the school one more time before decisions are announced.
Applicants to the Beginners program up through grade 1 may schedule visits online upon submitting an application. For applicants to grades 2-7, the admission office will contact you to schedule a visit for your child. Visits last from a half-hour to a full day, depending on the grade level. A parent interview is not part of the admission process.
- Beginners and nursery applicants are invited for an informal, group playdate with members of our admission staff and early childhood faculty. Playdates last about 30 to 45 minutes and there are no more than four children in a group, each accompanied by his or her parent(s) or caregiver. These visits typically happen in November, December, and January.
- Junior kindergarten applicants are invited for a 45-minute group playdate, which involves informal playtime and a short, one-on-one table assessment with a member of our admission staff or early childhood faculty. There are no more than four children in a group, each accompanied by his or her parent(s) or caregiver. These visits typically happen in November and December.
- Senior kindergarten and grade 1 applicants are invited for an hour-long visit that involves a group activity and a one-on-one table assessment with a member of our admission staff or early childhood faculty. These visits are hosted in small groups, without parents or caregivers present. Parents and caregivers are invited to wait in our lobby or explore the neighborhood during the visit. These visits typically happen in October, November, and December.
- Grades 2-7 applicants are invited to spend all or part of a school day with us. Additional information will be provided by the admission office upon submitting your child’s application. Please note that we require the last two years of transcripts to be submitted prior to scheduling the child’s visit. These visits typically happen in October and November.
Formal tours are a required part of the application process. We do not conduct parent interviews and so the tour is an opportunity for the admission staff to get to know your family. Families who have gone on a spring tour are not required to join a tour in the fall.
Parent tours are hosted in small groups and led by a core member of the admission team. Tours are in the morning from 8:30-10:30 a.m. and can be scheduled online through the admission portal upon submitting an application. Tours include a walk through of the building, classroom visits, and an observation of Chapel. They conclude with light refreshments and a Q and A with the admission team.
Tours are intended for parents and are not designed for our student applicants. Where the potential applicant has two custodial parents, we ask that both parents attend the tour.
All ISAAGNY (Independent School Admission Association of Greater New York) schools use the same confidential teacher report forms. The forms below correspond to the grade to which your child is applying (not his or her current grade). Please submit the appropriate form to your child's current teacher and ask that they return the form directly to St. Hilda’s & St. Hugh’s. For grades 2-7, you may also find the forms on the admission portal. We can easily provide the form via email or regular mail as well.
For the 2018-2019 admission season, St. Hilda’s & St. Hugh’s is not requiring standardized testing for our early childhood and grade 1 applicants. We are always reevaluating our admission process as to whether or not the ERB, or other standardized testing, will be required in the future.
Students applying to grades 2-7 are asked to take the ISEE exam administered by ERB. To learn more about these tests and how to schedule them, click here. Please contact Karen Lee in the St. Hilda’s & St. Hugh’s admission office to learn more about reduced fees for grade 2-7 standardized testing.
Financial assistance is awarded annually to students in nursery through grade 8 based on need. Admission decisions are not influenced by requests for financial aid. Award letters are emailed with acceptance letters according to the Independent School Admissions Association of Greater New York (ISAAGNY) notification guidelines.
- 25 percent of students receive aid
- More than $3.6 million awarded
- Average grant: $33,639
Parents who request financial aid information on the application will receive an email detailing our financial aid application process through Tuition Aid Data Services (TADS).
For further information and instructions on how to apply for financial aid, please visit our tuition and financial aid page. We regret that we may not be able to accommodate Financial Aid requests made after the December 1 deadline. Please click here to download our financial aid brochure.
Parents are notified of admission decisions according to the Independent School Admissions Association of Greater New York (ISAAGNY) notification guidelines. Notification letters will be sent via email, with paper copies to follow via regular mail.
Notification dates for the 2019-2020 academic year:
- Beginner, Nursery, Junior Kindergarten: Thursday, February 28, 2019
(Parent Reply Deadline: Friday, March 8, 2019)
- Senior Kindergarten: Friday, February 8, 2019
(Parent Reply Deadline: Friday, February 15, 2019)
- Grade 1-8: Tuesday, February 5, 2019
(Parent Reply Deadline: Tuesday, February 26, 2019)
Applicants who are siblings of current St. Hilda's & St. Hugh's students may choose the option of Early Notification, which allows us to let those families know about admission decisions in December. Not only does this option facilitate the admission process, but it is also a demonstration of our commitment to our current families. This option will not diminish our dedication to a community diverse in race, culture, socio-economic status, and religious beliefs. Early Notification decisions can be an acceptance, a denial, or a deferral to the regular pool, based on space availability and the application.
Supporting a Diverse Community
St. Hilda’s & St. Hugh’s is proud to work with many local and national organizations that support diversity within independent schools. We thank Prep for Prep, Early Steps, Oliver Scholars, Jack and Jill of America Inc., and Figure Skating in Harlem for their support of our program.