Fall 2021: November/December
These titles have recently been acquired by the Library and are now available for holds and in-person checkout. Acquisitions are made with the purpose of adding quality children’s books to the Library’s existing collection, and which will appeal to a child’s curiosity and reading interests. Starred reviews from Horn Book, Kirkus and the School Library Journal guide Ms. Perna’s decision-making process when determining which titles to purchase. Popular titles are available in multiple formats (audiobook, eBook and print). Digital titles are accessible online via Sora.
Lower Division Collection
- ✩Dorléans, Marie. The Night Walk.
- The Fan Brothers. It Fell From the Sky.
- Floca, Brian. Keeping the City Going.
- ✩Hyo-eun, Kim. I Am the Subway.
- Jackson, Mick. While You’re Sleeping.
- ✩Morstad, Julie. Time Is a Flower.
- Raúl the Third. ¡Vamos! Let’s Cross the Bridge. (eBook and print)
- ✩Robert, Nadine. On the Other Side of the Forest.
- ✩Weatherford, Carole Boston. Unspeakable: The Tulsa Race Massacre. (eBook and print)
Independent Reading: Horn Book Fanfare
- Henkes, Kevin. Billy Miller Makes a Wish.
- Kelly, Erin Entrada. Maybe Maybe Marisol Rainey. (ebook and print)
Festivals of Light: Fall and Winter Holidays
- Gottesfeld, Jeff. The Christmas Mitzvah.
- Hall, Carla. Carla and the Christmas Cornbread.
- Heos, Bridget. Santa Jaws.
- Jackson, Tiffany. Santa in the City.
- Jocelyn, Marthe. Auggie Morton: Mystery Queen.
- Lee, Mark. Twenty Big Trucks in the Middle of Christmas.
- Mathur, Sanyukta. Happy Diwali!
- Nebres, Charlotte. Charlotte and the Nutcracker.
- Perl, Erica. The Ninth Night of Hanukkah.
- Redd, Nancy. The Real Santa.
- Rusch, Elizabeth. Zee Grows a Tree.
- Sounder, Chitra. Shubh Diwali!
- Umrigar, Thrifty. Binny’s Diwali.
- Watts, Frances. A Very Quacky Christmas.
- Wind, Lee. Red and Green and Blue and White.
- Zoboi, Ibi. The People Remember. (audiobook and print)
Books About Gratitude
Upper Division Collection
NPR: Books We Love 2021
- ✩Bruchac, Joseph. Rez Dogs. (audiobook and print)
- ✩Dobbs, Alda P. Barefoot Dreams of Petra Luna. (eBook and print)
- Oh, Ellen. Finding Junie Kim. (ebook and print)
- ✩Paulsen, Bree. Garlic & The Vampire.
- ✩Selznick, Brian. Kaleidoscope. (eBook and print)
- ✩Yelchin, Eugene. The Genius Under the Table.
Horn Book Fanfare
- Ahmed, Samira. Amira & Hamza. (eBook and print)
- Atinuke. Africa, Amazing Africa.
- ✩Giles, Chrystal D. Take Back the Block. (eBook and print)
- ✩Khor, Shing Yin. The Legend of Auntie Po. (eBook and print)
- ✩Royce, Eden. Root Magic. (eBook and print)
SLJ Best Middle Grade Books
- ✩Alston, B. B. Amari and the Night Brothers. (eBook and print)
- Dee, Barbara. Violets Are Blue. (eBook and print)
- ✩Fipps, Lisa. Starfish. (audiobook, eBook and print)
- ✩LaRocca, Rajani. Red, White, and Whole.
- ✩Mbalia, Kwame. Black Boy Joy.
*Faculty and/or student book purchase request
✩Title appears on one or more Best Children’s Booklist of 2021.